20% of your effort is responsible for 80% of your results. To increase results, you have to do more of that killer 20%, right? Great… So, how do you do that? Step #1: Get yourself set up with some digital hacks that are gonna keep your online life in line.
As you may already know, I am obsessed with the 80/20 Principle. I heard about it through Perry Marshall’s book, 80/20 Sales and Marketing. The short version: 20% of what you do is bringing in 80% of the results you want (in business, and in life). To increase results, you need to devote more energy and resources to the 20% that works and less to the other 80% of what you’re doing.
With this principle in mind, we at Think Digital developed a course of 21 Digital Lifestyle Hacks designed to increase results and reduce stress. I don’t call them “tips and tricks” because they’re not cute little tips. These digital hacks are actionable concepts and methods that will get you rockin’ that 20%. They are shortcuts to success.
We got five hacks on this week’s podcast. One from the course, and four others that didn’t make the cut (but are still supremely useful). If you want the whole shebang, head over to thinkdigitalhacks.com and check it out! (Psst! There’s a promo code in this week’s podcast if you want a discount!)
Enter three or four “wins” each day. Super easy and straightforward. It might not seem like much, but over time this practice changes your brain. You will gain confidences, strength, and just plain joy. The app itself won’t dazzle you (it doesn’t look like much), but the practice will.
2. Bulletproof Espresso
You’ve probably heard of Bulletproof Coffee. I swear by it, but it takes too long. Sometimes I don’t even have 5–10 minutes to drink a cup of coffee in the morning. I perfected my own recipe for Bulletproof Espresso instead, and I will never go back.
How is this a digital hack? The whole point of Bulletproof is to give your brain the good fats it needs to work at its highest level. It increases mental stamina and clarity. That’s a hack for sure.
3. Clam Case
I house my iPad mini in a Clam Case Pro. A Clam Case is way more expensive than a lot of cases on the market, but it’s worth it because it turns my iPad into a usable laptop. And we’re talkin’ usable for me, a 6’4″ man who needs a keyboard that isn’t so tiny I could Hulk-smash it with my pinky.
Why? Same reason that makes this a digital hack. A Clam Case makes it possible for me to be in “Vision Mode” rather than “Work Mode.” I need to be focusing on my $1,000 and $10,000 tasks, not sitting on my laptop. My iPod mini in its Clam Case lets me live in Vision Mode for as long as I need to. I can shed the mentality of being tethered to work by my laptop. This is huge for my entrepreneurial brain!
4. iA Writer
I love iA Writer. It’s the distraction-free environment I need to write. Not to knock Evernote, because I think they do a great job, but I get too distracted when I’m on it. I’ve also tried Scrivener and it didn’t work for me. Bonus: IA is the abbreviation for Iowa, which as we know is home of Des Moines, the greatest city in the universe!
5. Pomodoro Technique
The Pomodoro Technique is one of our hacks in the course. It has revolutionized the way I work. I don’t care who says they can do it or how to do it, multitasking isn’t a thing, guys. Our brains don’t work well doing more than one thing at once. The Pomodoro Technique brings focus to one thing at once, which is how you’re going to be at your best.
Plus, all you need is a timer (it can be a kitchen timer or your phone or whatever). Work on one thing for 25 minutes, take a 5 minute break to do whatever (check Twitter, take a quick walk, etc.). Then do it again. All day! Super easy, super effective.
So there you have it, five digital hacks that will decrease stress and increase results. Like everything else, apply the 80/20 Principle here, man. You don’t need to implement 100% of these. You need to implement the 20% that will make a big difference for YOU. So pick one and rock it out.
Aaaaaand just when you thought this episode couldn’t get any more jam-packed, we have a new segment this week! On this week’s podcast, you’ll hear our expert guest, Glen White, give advice on how to be an effective communicator. He should know; he’s the Founder & CEO of brand new professional communication and collaboration tool, businessfriend. BOOM.
After you listen in, hit me up on Twitter (@JustinWise) or Snapchat (ATJUSTINWISE) to let me know one thing you’re going to do differently now that you’ve got these tools at your disposal.