My wife and I just got back from four nights in San Francisco. We wore flowers in our hair (she did, anyway), ate sourdough, laughed at the fat seals (haha!) and generally had a exquisite time.
Below are the top pics from our voyage. Enjoy!
1. Taking it to the Sky
Somewhere over the Rockies. I think. (I was never good at geography.)
2. In N’ Out without a doubt!
This was our first San Francisco meal. It was also the cheapest. And the best.
3. Taffy. Boatloads of taffy
We went to San Francisco and all I got was a three (THREE!) pound bag of taffy.
4. Fish from the aquarium
Standing below a bajillion gallon tank filled with fish. This was the one shot I got before the giant sea bass came and devoured nearly this entire school of fishies.
5. Fisherman’s Wharf sign
What you don’t see is the street performer wearing silver streamers and a robot mask who openly mocked my ‘do. Jerk.
6. Emotive robots
Someone had the ingenuity to paint little faces on the municipal electrical boxes of San Francisco. This one was my favorite.
7. The group of German-speaking weirdos
This group of individuals cascaded past us just outside of Ghiradelli Square. They were wearing blonde wigs, wooden clogs, and masks on the back of their heads. Only in America (or is it San Francisco?).
8. Not-so-quiet riot
We, literally, got stuck in the middle of a riot. This was the San Franciso version of Occupy Wall Street. My wife was talking trash to the protesters. I was just hoping to not get stabbed by tweaked-out hippies.
9. Real World San Francisco
I half-expected Puck, Judd, Pam and the rest of the gang to come bounding outside this Lombard Street home. This is where the Real World San Francisco crew stayed. Verified by the bum down the street.
10. Dipping garlic
We ate one of the most unique meals I’ve ever had in my life at the Stinking Rose. Everything is made with garlic. Even the ice cream. You dipped your bread in this dish. I woke up the next morning with a garlic clove in my mouth. Weird.
11. The perfect breakfast
This was the “Californian” egg scramble from the Hollywood Cafe. Smoked salmon, shrimp, caper berries and sourdough toast. One of my favorite meals.
12. This is where Danny Tanner lived
The “Full House” crew lived here before Danny Tanner got weird. Alamo Square is one of the only places we saw grass (mowing kind) in the city.
These are beautiful tomatoes from the Ferry Market on Pier 1. Gorgeous produce tucked inside an indoor Farmer’s Market.
14. GGB, yeah you know me!
I was a first-timer to the Golden Gate Bridge. Absolutely stunning. Loved every minute of it, despite the two teenagers making out (with tongue) just to the right of this photo.
- San Francisco was brighter than I thought it would be.
- If you go, rent a car. Parking is super expensive, but we found it so helpful to be able to get up and go whenever we needed. Public transportation is good, but having a car is better.
- The trolleys are fun and dangerous. Kind of like riding a rollercoaster with no harness.
- Driving down the crooked Lombard St. was such a thrill. And a guy thing. A “bucket list” item for sure.
- Stay in Fisherman’s Wharf if you can. It’s way more expensive, but being close to the action is key for a good trip.
We had a brilliant time together. I told my wife I owe her one vacation per year. This one set the bar high!