An author, lecturer, and pastor.
- When we think of everywhere, we leave out the future.
- The other everywhere is invisible.
- Before you became material, you existed. You existed in the mind of God before you were created.
- If you carry your idea through and translate through who you are it becomes reality.
- The act of creativity is the materialization of the future.
- I didn’t do very well in the Christian movement.
- The more I became involved in Christianity, the further I was moving away in my intimacy with Jesus.
- Jesus remains true to me. This is all I know.
- I think I’m kind of done in the church space.
- I was really excited when I walked into a room and people didn’t know I was a Christian.
- God can sometimes be like the awkward uncle at the dinner table.
- Do you believe that there is nothing new under the sun? No? Then tell me why life is so mundane.
- (He just told the story of meeting with a Hollywood exec who wanted to invest in his movie. Ended up talking with the mogul about spiritual issues. The mogul ended up saying, “When you walked into the room, you had an unexplainable peace that I need.”
- I had all the language of God, and I had all the stuff. I was just doing what was true but it didn’t resonate with my soul. Have you ever been there?
- God to Erwin: “I want you to absorb the beauty of the Universe and make it known to the world.”
- To be astonished by the wonder of beauty that we might know the love of God.
- (Erwin’s name comes from a random ID found in a police office. The man his mom was dating was into shady deals, Black Market, etc. Boyfriend walked them into the police office, convinced them that they had been robbed, and walked out with items from the evidence locker and a new name: Erwin McManus. Fascinating.)
- You don’t have to hope to create art. You have to have hope to create beauty.
- The human narrative is a tension between anguish and beauty.
- God creates out of our tragedy that which is even more beautiful.
- Translate your art to bring hope to the world. Tell the story authentically, but never let tragedy have the last word in the story.
- We are untrained to see the beautiful.
- I’m a carnivore. I think it’s ethically wrong to eat things that cannot run for their lives.
- After eating a medium-rate steak for the first time: “I had no idea how a tasty a steak could actually be.” We are untrained to see the beautiful in life.
- You’ve been trained to like swill. You have to retrain your tastebuds.
- We have spent our entire lives absorbing the mundane.
- The more I strive to create a life that absorbs beauty, the more I see the tragedy in life. This journey doesn’t free us from the struggle, it frees us for the struggle.
- You can only tell the story of who humanity is becoming through the power of the creative act.
Interview with JR Kerr
- (Erwin’s son, Aaron, is onstage with him. This is the first time he’s ever been onstage for anything.)
- Erwin: I’m a person who lives out of a tremendous sense of communal obligation. This is good. But living life for others all the time was snuffing out the creativity and artist inside of me.
- Aaron: I’m going to fail everyday. If I don’t fail, I won’t succeed.
- E: I felt like the more success I had in life, the more people hated me. I felt like the more I succeeded, the less likely people were to listen to me. At one point, there was a website that showed a clock counting down the time before they killed me.
- E: A lot of the pain for me has been the pain of success.
- E: That last five years for me have been a lot about who I am supposed to be when I grow up. Self-discovery.
- The world needs your 100%.