All WCAGLS posts are sponsored by Bethel Seminary. Get theological education without uprooting your entire life. Bethel’s InMinistry program lets you attend seminary without moving. It’s how I earned my M. Div!
Session 5 – The Advantage: Why Organizational Health Trumps Everything Else
Founder and President,
The Table Group; Best Selling Author
- People need to be reminded more than they need to be instructed.
- The things that Southwest does that make them so great, other organizations won’t do them because they think it’s below them.
- Organizational health isn’t popular because it’s not immediate enough.
- An organization with health has to be smart. Meaning, they need to have intellect.
- In addition to being smart, we have to make our organizations healthy. Healthy organizations have minimal politics and intrusion. People come to work psyched to do their job. There’s also a low turnover with the best people.
- Effective organizations excel not because they’re the smartest, but because they’re healthy.
- Management teams need to be behaviorally cohesive.
- Management teams who are effective answer the following questions: Why do we exist? How do we behave? What do we actually do for a living? How will we succeed? What is most important in our organization right now? Who must do what at the executive level?
- This is why Southwest Air exists: “Democratizing travel in America.”
- Answer, “how do we behave?” with one or two, maybe three core actions.
- You can’t have your core values be everything.
- Your values have to be things that you stick with even if the market doesn’t reward you for it.
- When people ask you to violate your core values, you cannot do it. It’s like selling a piece of your soul.
- Churches have a really hard time with core values.
- To work in a church, you should never do it because you have to have a job.
- Every decision you make is a part of your strategy.
- Being all things to all people is being nothing to no one.
- We as leaders need to over-communicate.
- If your people can’t do a good impression of you when you’re not around, you’re not communicating enough.
- I wish organizational health was a standard. Just like finances and policies are standard, org. health is one of the most important things to focus on.